Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How I Met My Husband

How I Met My Husband
Alice Munro

I greatly enjoyed the twist at the end of the story of how the mailman was the man that actually became her husband.  The choice of diction used by the narrator allows the reader to believe that Chris, the pilot, might actually be the husband. Even though the story is told as the woman looking back on when she was fifteen and met her husband, she tells the part of her and the pilot in a way that makes you think he is not the man that his finance claimed he was. "'He just made use of you and went off, you know that, don't you?" (Munro, 143)  She awaits his letter everyday and the reader awaits his letter just the same. The narrator recalls how she believed that he was not the type of person to not stay true to his word, and this allows the reader to also believe the best in Chris. She did not speak down upon him at all, which also leads the reader to believe that maybe he isn't that bad of a guy.(Maybe I am just optimistic, but it made me feel this way) Imagine how coincidental it is to meet your future spouse while awaiting the return of the person you are with or plan to be with....very odd. I think it is even more ironic, because I am positive this has happened before in real life at one point in time, or a similar situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment