Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Eveline

Eveline
James Joyce

I found that the theme throughout this short story was that when making a decision about the future, it is important to not make the decision while focused on the past. When doing so, you can take yourself out of an opportunity to experience something new. Eveline has the struggle of staying at her home in Dublin or moving to Buenos Aires with Frank. Frank is an interesting character. He is described as a "kind, manly, open-hearted." (Joyce, 220). He is also a countryman and a sailor. Eveline's father did not like Frank saying that he knew his type of person. I am not quite sure if Frank is the type of person Eveline says, and if there was anything to provide the reader with a different idea I missed that one. However, I felt that Eveline viewed Frank as her rescuer or her way to escape her present life.(this could bias her view of Frank) I was confused at the end of the short story though on whether or not she ended up leaving or not. I interpreted it as she ended up not leaving because of.....but I was not sure. Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment