Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Handkerchief

Othello
William Shakespeare

So unless I just completely missed something, we first see the handkerchief when Emilia finds it. The handkerchief belongs to Desdemona and was a gift from Othello. Emilia says "My wayward husband hath a hundred times/ Wooed me to steal it, but she so loves the token,/ For he conjured her she should keep it,/ That she reserves it evermore about her/ To kiss and talk to. I'll have the work ta'en out..." (III.iii.293-297) Iago has asked Emilia to steal this possession of Desdemona, but Emilia knows how much the handkerchief means to you so she says she will make a copy. However, Iago takes the handkerchief from Emilia. Iago decides to plant the handkerchief in Cassio's room. Cassio found it there and gave it to Bianca to copy the pattern. Will she though?..I don't know. I'm not sure of the larger significance of the handkerchief, but it is a prized possession to both Othello and Desdemona. Therefore, it could just continue to be a source of frustration between Othello and Desdemona. However, I feel there is something even greater to know about this handkerchief.

No comments:

Post a Comment