Thursday, February 28, 2013

My mistress' eyes

My mistress' eyes
William Shakespeare.

This speaker is very fond of his mistress. I mean "her eyes are nothing like the sun; coral is far more red than her lips' red."(885) The speaker goes on and on about how their mistress is like all of these beauties and the mistress loses every time. He does end up saying that her voice is nice. I don't really know what the last couplet meant. He says the the love he has is rare and valuable and then I don't know what the last part means. It says "any woman who has been lied to with false comparisons." Therefore, I would venture to guess that the speaker means that his earlier comparisons were false. Based on the gender theme of the unit, maybe it is saying that men likely do not say what they truly mean. It could also mean that women receive many left-handed compliments that actually would hurt their feelings. There is obviously a tone shift at line 13; there is also a shift in subject at 8, from things that the speaker "didn't like" to things they did like about his mistress. However, I am confused as to what all of this means.

No comments:

Post a Comment