Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Party Like Gatsby [The Great Gatsby: Pgs 37-48]

The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald

As we enter into the world that is chapter three, we begin to get to what I am guessing is the major part of the story: Gatsby. He is a man of many words and parties. (If I had a ginormous house and lived there alone, I think I would throw several large parties as well.) Nick lives right next door to Gatsby, but had never been to one of Gatsby's parties until now. (Why now?)

In the chapter it was said, "'He (Gatsby) doesn't want any trouble with anybody'" (Fitzgerald, 43). This statement stood out to me as a characteristic of Gatsby that may come into play later in the story.

Now how you go living next to someone and do not recognizing them when you talk to them is beyond me; however, it made for an awkward situation, and everyone enjoys awkward situations.

So everyone wants to know: who is this Gatsby character? He seems to be a character who enjoys being in the background. He must know everyone knows of him, but people rarely even meet him when they go to his parties; if he had an issue with that, he would make sure that did not occur. He was in the war, but I think he simply used that as a conversation starter and it is something they have in common.

See next post to learn more!

I thought some people would enjoy this...


No comments:

Post a Comment