Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Here We Go Again... [The Great Gatsby: Pgs 1-12]

The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald

The first thing I noticed about this novel was that it is written from a first person point of view. (I enjoy reading stories in the first person, so this could be a could sign.) Fitzgerald starts with a quote from the narrator's father saying, "'Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,' he told me, 'just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had'"(Fitzgerald, 1). Though usually themes are discovered throughout the book, it is possible that this quote could have something to do with the overall theme. I also say this is possible because the first two pages seem to act as a preview, an extremely brief preview, of what may unfold later in the book.

I found it very odd how we do not even know the narrator's full name until page ten. Now this may be considered a minor detail considering in some stories you never know who the narrator is at all, but I found it slightly unusual.

We are introduced to three characters: Tom and Daisy Buchanan and Miss Baker. (I am currently uncertain on how minor or major these characters will be.) Daisy is Nick's cousin. Tom is Daisy's husband and a friend of Nick. Miss Baker is a friend of Daisy's and a current stranger to Nick.

The amount of figurative language I feel will be much greater than in The House of Mirth, because just within these pages there have been several examples of imagery through personification, similes, and comparisons.

(Can someone tell me why they spell tomorrow and today like to-morrow and to-day, or is that just how they say it??)

No comments:

Post a Comment